“According to Latané and Darley, there are 5 characteristics of emergencies that affect bystanders
- Emergencies involve threat of harm or actual harm
- Emergencies are unusual and rare
- The type of action required in an emergency differs from situation to situation
- Emergencies cannot be predicted or expected
- Emergencies require immediate actionDue to these five characteristics, bystanders go through cognitive and behavioral processes:
- Notice that something is going on
- Interpret the situation as being an emergency
- Degree of Responsibility felt
- Form of Assistance
- Implement the action choice“Darley, J. M., & Latane, B. (1970). The unresponsive bystander: why doesn’t he help? New York, NY: Appleton Century Crofts.
3 harps and piano
Premiered by Louisa Parment, Katherine Waters, Carolina Marcelino and Robert Allan (conducted by Nigel Boddice) at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, 1st May 2014.
Glasgow, January 2014